Intention To Create Legal Relations Family Agreements

This article focuses on the key criteria that can be most overlooked; The intention to create legal relationships. Under customary law, a contract is not applicable unless the parties intend to establish legal relationships. Whether the parties wished to establish legal relations is objectively determined by examining the circumstances that existed prior to the performance of the contract. However, there is a general presumption that contracts between family members are not intended to establish legal relationships. This presumption “stems from the experience of life and human nature, which shows that, in such circumstances, men and women generally do not intend to create legal rights and obligations, but want to rely exclusively on family ties of mutual trust and affection” (Jones v Padavatton, [1969] 2 All ER 616 at 621 (CA)). The presumption is also based on the reality that agreements between family members are generally not negotiated or negotiated. The presumption may, however, be rebutted by evidence. Therefore, a contract between family members is applicable if it is demonstrated that the parties intend to establish legal relations with the contract. This presumption could be rebutted by evidence that, although the parties are family members, the contract was concluded or performed in economic circumstances. As Professor John McCamus put it, “[t]he commercial arrangements between family members may clearly be intended to create binding agreements” (John D.

McCamus, The Law of Contracts, 2nd ed at 133). These parties have reached several agreements, including the 1980 Transitional Agreement, the 1993 Interim Agreement and the Letter of Agreement (LOU). Prior to the 1980 transition agreement, the complainant and three members of the Hole family were shareholders in a company called Lockerbie and Hole Western Ltd. The complainant held a 25% stake in Lockerbie and Hole Western Ltd. while the other three family members held the remaining 75%. These original shareholders then transferred their shares in Lockerbie and Hole Western Ltd. to two companies, Hole Consultants Ltd (owned by each of the complainants) and Hole Engineering Ltd (owned by the respondent James D. Hole).

As a result, Hole Consultants Ltd held 80% of the shares, while Hole Engineering Ltd held 20% of the shares. Normal trade agreements with the government will likely be legally binding, as is the case with other types of trade agreements, but there may be some political agreements that are not. .

Recommended Posts